Police Officer Testing
POLICE OFFICER TESTING and HIRING INFORMATION
Pontiac Police Department
413N. Mill St.
Pontiac, IL. 61764
- Age 21 to under 35 at time of appointment. Waivers exist for military and certified police officers by statute*
- US Citizen or permanent legal resident alien eligible to legally work in the U.S.
- Possess an Associates Degree OR 60 hours toward a Bachelor's Degree OR 2 Years Active Duty Military OR 180 days Active Duty Combat Duty certified by the DOD. (65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6 (h))
- Good Moral Character
- No felony convictions or certain misdemeanors that reflect on character
- Eyesight must be correctable to 20/20, normal peripheral vision, no impairment of color blindness
- Application is due 5:00 PM Friday June 10th, 2022 and must include:
- photocopy of degree, transcript or DD214
- photocopy of picture ID
- photocopy of birth certificate
The Following Forms are Due by the POWER test date but may be sent early
- Rules Form
- Physical Aptitude Test Release of all Liabilities
- Test Release
- Physical Exam Options (Indicate option on Application)
- Supply valid P.O.W.E.R. card issued 3:00 pm Wednesday June 15 OR
- Attend Physical Agility Test Wednesday June 15, 5:30 pm OR
- Attend Physical Agility Test Saturday June 18, 10:00 am.
- Written Exam Remote Exam
- Take when convenient for you June 22nd, but must be done by 11:59 pm
- Access code given by email to all who successfully complete Physical Agility Test requirement
- Must agree to specific integrity rules
- When you begin, each section is timed
- Passing candidates will be questioned on the polygraph regarding exam integrity
- Study Materials and Practice Exam can be purchased here
- Oral Exam To be Determined
- Initial Eligibility List published within one week of last interview
- Final Eligibility List published after 10 day Preference Point period.
Department and Job Information
Pontiac Police Officers are represented by the PBPA and have a collective bargaining agreement with the city that expires April 1, 2024. Current starting salary is $52,656 with annual increases and education incentives of $750/year for an Associates Degree or $1,500/year for a Bachelors Degree added to the base pay. The city offers employees 100% Medical, Dental and Vision as well as a life insurance plan and a 50% employee share for family insurance. Officers participate in a VEBA account and the Illinois Downstate Pension. Officers are eligible for 50% of their pay upon retirement with 20 years of service and increase 2.5% per additional year with a maximum at 75% and 30 years of service. The city and the union enjoy a great working relationship. There is a current residency requirement of 15 miles which reaches smaller communities nearby.
The department employs 19 sworn officers. Its structure is a Chief, Major, 3 Sergeants, 3 Corporals 3 Investigators, 1 SRO, 1 K-9 Unit, 6 patrol officers and 2 civilian administrative staff.
Pontiac and the Area
Pontiac is the county seat of Livingston County. It has a population of 11,150 as of 2020 census. Pontiac is located along the north flowing Vermilion River, Historic US Route 66 and is a frequent destination of Rt. 66 travelers. The city boasts the Illinois Rt.66 Museum, Pontiac/Oakland Auto Museum, Gilders Museum and War Museum. It is a small town with great outdoor activities around such as numerous fishing locations, hunting, hiking etc. The Police Department operates with the trust of the community and share a partnership to solve community issues.