Car Seat Safety Inspections
Did you know that 3 out of every 4 Child Safety Seats are incorrectly installed?
This combined with children in the incorrect style of car seat equates to a 90% rate of children being in the wrong sear or the seat being incorrectly installed.
'The Pontiac Department provides free child safety seat inspections and installation assistance.
Although there is no law requiring an inspection, we offer free inspections to ensure a safer installation. The child safety seat program is intended to educate parents bow to properly install their child's seat.
Car seat checks are provided by a Safety Seat Technician who is certified through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the installation of child safety car seats.
- Checks and installations are conducted by appointment at the Fortiac Fire Department during business hours Monday through Friday & aum. to 5 pun, and Saturday through Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. Please call (815) 842-3225 and ask to speak with die co-duty stuft commander to schedule appointment.
- Pleasc bring the manuals for both your selicle and the car scat to help in proper installation.
- The child should also attend to ensare proper fitting of the harnesses
- If you cannot make your schodalod appointment, be sure to call so cancel or reschedule.
Note: Due to the fine department's responsibilities of responding to emergencies there may be times when an appointment will have to be rescheduled.
Other Child Safety Seat Considerations:
- Follow the instructions and recommendations for the child seat.
- Be sure your child is within the height and weight limits of the child scat.
- Visit the NITSA website for more infarmation on car sent safery.