Permits that are required include, but are not limited to,
- Garages and carports
- Sewer and water
- Siding, electrical
- Swimming pools / spas
All contractors and sub-contractors must be registered with the City of Pontiac in order to perform work in the city limits. Roofing and Plumbing contractors are required to be State of Illinois licensed, as well as registered with the City of Pontiac.
Please check prior to starting any project to make sure that a permit has been obtained and that the contractor is registered with the City of Pontiac. Contact the Building and Zoning office at (815) 844-1038. View a list of registered contractors here.
Required Inspections after Permit Approval
The permit holder will be required to notify the Building Department on each of the required inspections and will give at least 24 hours notice prior. Call (815) 844-1038 to set up an inspection.
- Electrical Inspections – Prior to concealing with insulation and drywall
- Final Inspection – After construction is completed, prior to occupancy
- Footing – Foundation Inspection, prior to backfilling the outer perimeter
- Framing – Prior to concealing with insulation and drywall
- Plumbing Inspection – Prior to concealment or covering
Other inspections are required as needed.