Message from the Chief of Police
Welcome! I hope you enjoy your visit to our website. The mission of the Pontiac Police Department is to work in partnership with the community to protect life and property, solve neighborhood problems and to enhance the quality of life in our city. Our number one priority is accomplishing our mission with unconditional respect for all. We believe respect is not earned but an inherent part of our very being. I hold the officers of the Pontiac Police Department to lofty standards and I expect you should too, but most importantly, the officers hold themselves to the same high standards.
Now Hiring Police Officers
TRAFFIC CRASH REPORTS
CRIME STOPPERS - Click the link for more info
- Full Service Patrol Unit
- Investigations/narcotics and vice
- K-9 Unit
- Parking Enforcement
- School Resource Officer in PTHS and District 429
- Sex Offender Registry (Offender Watch icon on right side)
- Nixle Alerts
- Tactical Response Team
- Fingerprinting (Volunteers, passports...) Ink only, no livescan
- Get FD258 (Applicant print card to FBI) Here. You must print it on stock paper. More info at https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks
- Background checks through Illinois State Police require Livescan. We cannot process them. More Info here
- Free Gun Locks provided by Project Childsafe (while supplies last)
- Official Notification Services by text and email (NIXLE, and Offender Watch)
- Safe Passage Detox Initiative
- Pharmaceutical Take Back (P2D2) Controlled Substances and Uncontrolled
- Residential Vacation House Checks
- Temporary Parking Permits for Dumpsters
- Temporary Firearm Storage (During temporary stay in skill care etc.) call for approval-815-844-5148.
Premise Alert Program-A cooperative effort between the mental health community and police to improve special needs citizen interactions with law enforcement. More Information Here
Department Statistics Information
The City of Pontiac is a Fire and Police Commission community. All hiring for police and fire is conducted by the commission according to state law requirements. Pontiac PD maintains a hiring eligibility list.
Provides rules for hiring and some governing powers as given by 65 ILCS 5/10 et sequence.
Pontiac Police Department participates in Law enforcement Supply Office 1033 program (LESO). The policy for the program is available here. Illinois law requires agencies post a list of items requested within the last 14 days. Items requested do not mean they were awarded.
Link to 1033 requested/acquired property (excel file)